Friday, May 29, 2009

The Chrysalis

All around us living creatures are in the process of becoming. As a student, I learned about the pupa stage of butterflies from a wonderful third grade teacher. I remember holding fuzzy caterpillars in the spring. Then later in the spring, the wonderful butterflies emerged from their drab brown cocoons. I wonder if the butterflies know how delicate and gorgeous they are.


















Lately this spring season, I have begun to notice more than butterflies' transformations. For example, some young girls undergo a metamorphosis between those cute little third grade years to high school years, and for others, the internal and external change varies.


This period of change shows in the rituals of dress ups, slumber parties, first dances, etc.







































Is the butterfly aware of its transformation?











Does it know the time of its life span or bask in the warm sunlight? Does it know that the fourth generation will enjoy a longer life than the three previous generations?







Who will travel south to live triple the normal span of its kin Monarchs?




















No, the butterfly does not realize the stage of its life, and humans do not realize the transformation of themselves until it has passed. I doubt the butterfly ever says,
"if I could live my life over and know what I know now." Perhaps the key to living is to enjoy the process of growing and becoming.



No comments:

Post a Comment